- Associate Professor, Department of Special Education, University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece; Director of SeDICT lab (2005-present)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Cultural Technology and Communication (CTC), University of the Aegean, Mytilini, Lesvos Island, Greece (2003-2005)
- Associate Researcher, Advanced e-Services for the Knowledge Society Research Unit (ASK, Director: Prof. D. Sampson), Informatics and Telematics Institute, Centre for Research and Technology - Hellas (ITI-CERTH), Thessaloniki, Greece (2000-2003)
- Research Assistant, Assistive Technology and Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory (AT-HCI Lab, Director: Prof. C. Stephanidis), Institute of Computer Science, Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (ICS-FORTH), Heraklion, Crete, Greece (1993-1998)
- Part-time positions: Adjunct Instructor, Hellenic Open University (2004-2010); Visiting Lecturer, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, Thessaloniki, Greece (2002-2003); Visiting Lecturer, Department of Informatics, Technological Educational Institute, Thessaloniki, Greece (2002-2003)
- Co-Editor of the Bulletin of the IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology (with Sabine Graf), Editorial Review Board Member in the International Journal of e-Learning, Executive Peer Reviewer in the Journal of Educational Technology and Society, and Reviewer in: IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, IEEE Transactions on Education, Journal of Educational Technology and Society, User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, Interacting with Computers, Journal of Interactive Media in Education, Computers in Human Behavior, Advanced Learning Technologies, WWW Journal, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, The Computer Games Journal, Interaction Design and Architecture Journal, International Journal on Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies, Advances in Multimedia, International Journal on Mathematics Education, International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning, International Journal of Autonomous and Adaptive Communications Systems, Journal of Computer Systems Networks and Communications, Journal of Mobile Multimedia, Program: electronic library and information systems, IET Software, Campus-Wide Information Systems
- Organiser of: ICALT Doctoral Consortium (2010-2013, with Sabine Graf), HCICTE Special Track on ICT in Special Education (2013, with Nikos Fachantidis), 8th Panhellenic Conference on ICT in Education (2012, with Takis Politis and Ilias Karasavvidis), INCoS Special Track on Networking and Collaboration for People with Special Needs (2010, with Demetrios Sampson)
- Programme Committee Member in: IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), IADIS International Conferences on e-Learning (EL), Mobile Learning (ML), Cognition and Exploratory Learning in Digital Age (CELDA) and Collaborative Technologies (CT), International Conference on Computer Supported Education (CSEDU), International Conference on Mobile, Hybrid, and On-line Learning (eLmL), IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Networking and Collaborative Systems (INCoS), Advanced International Conference on Telecommunications (AICT), IEEE/ACM International Workshop on Context-Aware Mobile Learning (CAML), International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia (VSMM), International Conference on Adaptive Hypermedia and Adaptive Web-Based Systems (AH, also member of the AH Steering Committee in 2004), Engineering e-Learning Systems Workshop (ELS) - ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC), and Hellenic Conferences on ICT in Education (HICTE), Teaching Informatics (DIDINF), the Development of Digital Learning Material (DDLM), and Human-Computer Interaction (HC-HCI)
- Reviewer in: ACM Human Factors in Computing Systems Conference (CHI), ACM Designing Interactive Systems Conference (DIS), ACM Designing for the User Experience (DUX), ACM Computer-Supported Collaborative Work Conference (CSCW), BCS Human-Computer Interaction Conference (HCI), IEEE International Conference on Computers in Education (ICCE), International Workshop on Internationalisation of Products and Systems (IWIPS), International Conference on Open and Distance Learning (ICODL)
- Expert R&D Proposal Evaluator and/or Project Reviewer in: EC TeLearn, ICT Policy Support, eContentPlus, MEDIA and EU-US Collaboration Programmes, Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), Qatar National Research Foundation (QNRF), Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation (CRPF) and several National Programmes funded by the Greek Ministry of Education and Ministry of Development
- ICT applications in learning and special education: personalised learning and intelligent learning environments, learning technologies specifications and standards and learning content reusability, learning (content) management systems, computer-supported collaborative learning environments, mobile learning in pervasive environments, ubiquitous computing and ambient intelligence, special education software and accessible educational software, assistive technology and accessibility
- human-computer interaction: personalised interaction and intelligent user interfaces, multimodal/multimedia user interfaces, interaction metaphors, usability evaluation, user interfaces for all, universal design
- Courses: Introduction to ICT Applications (1st sem), IT Applications in Learning and Special Education (3rd sem), ICT Applications in Learning and Special Education (6th sem), Developing ICT Applications for Special Education (8th sem)
- PhD supervision: Tina Chatzara (software agents), Sofia Efraimidou (CSCL), Eleni Zisiou (adaptive learning environments), Vaggelis Katsigiannakis (mLearning)
- Ph.D. Electronic Engineering, University of Kent at Canterbury, UK (1998)
- M.Sc. Information Technology, Queen Mary & Westfield College, University of London, UK (1992)
- B.Sc. Mathematics, Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki, Greece (1991)
- Best Poster Award, 10th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 10), Sousse, Tunis, July 5-7, 2010
- Outstanding Performance Award as Doctoral Consortium Co-Chair, 9th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 09), Riga, Latvia, July 15-17, 2009
- Best Paper Award, 1st IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 01), Madison, WI, USA, August 6-8, 2001
Selected Publications (papers>80, citations>500; h-index=15)
- Karagiannidis C., Politis P. & Karasavvidis I. (eds.), Research on e-Learning and ICT in Education, Springer (in preparation).
- Karagiannidis C., Kouroupetroglou C. & Koumpis A., "Special Needs at different Educational Levels: A foreview of 2020", International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning, 7(4), 2012.
- Karasavvidis I. & Karagiannidis C., "From failure to success: rethinking Wiki use in university settings", in Jovanovic J. & Chiong R. (eds.), Technological and Social Environments for Interactive Learning, Informing Science Press, 2012.
- Karagiannidis C., Efraimidou S. & Koumpis A., "Social Networking to Support Collaborative Interactions in Special Education", International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning, 5(2), 2010.
- Chatzara K., Karagiannidis C. & Stamatis D., "Computers can feel too: Intelligent Emotional Agents in e-learning systems", in Beer M., Fasli M. & Richards D. (eds.), Multi-Agent Systems for Education and Interactive Entertainment, IGI-Global, 2010.
- Chatzara K., Karagiannidis C. & Stamatis D., "Student's attitude and learning effectiveness of emotional agents", 10th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 2010), Sousse, Tunisia, July 5-7, 2010 (poster publication, best poster award).
- Karagiannidis C., Koumpis A. & Lekakos G., "Learning and Commerce in Pervasive Environments", Electronic Journal for e-Commerce Tools and Applications, 3(1), 2009.
- Avouris N., Karagiannidis C. & Komis V. (eds.), Introduction to Computer-Supported Collaboration: Collaborative Environments and Models for Work, Learning, Communities of Practice and Knowledge Building, Kleidarithmos Publications, 2008 (in Greek).
- Karagiannidis C., Lekakos G. & Vasilakos A., "Preference-Based Decision Making for Personalised Access to Learning Resources", International Journal of Autonomous and Adaptive Communication Systems, 1(3), 2008.
- Demetriadis S., Karagiannidis C., Pombortsis A. & Tsiatsios T. (eds.), Flexible Learning through ICT, Tziolas Publications, 2007 (in Greek).
- Karagiannidis C. & Vasilakos A., "Learning in the Ambient Intelligence Environment: from Web-Based Education to Ubiquitous Learning Experiences", in Vasilakos T. & Pedrycz W. (eds.), Ambient Intelligence, Wireless Networking, Ubiquitous Computing, Artech House Publishers, 2006.
- Brusilovsky P., Karagiannidis C. & Sampson D., "Layered Evaluation of Adaptive Learning Systems", International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning, 14(4-5), 2004.
- Karagiannidis C. & Sampson D., "Accommodating Learning Styles Research for Personalised Access to Educational e-Content", in Kelleher M., Haldune A. & Kruizinga E. (eds.), The Future of Technology-Enhanced Learning: Insights from the European Research Community, CIBIT Publishers, 2004.
- Sampson D., Karagiannidis C. & Cardinali F., "An Architecture for Web-Based e-Learning Promoting Re-usable Adaptive Educational e-Content", Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 5(4), 2002.
- Sampson D., Karagiannidis C. & Kinshuk, "Personalised Learning: Educational, Technological and Standardisation Perspective", Interactive Educational Multimedia, 4, 2002.
- Sampson D., Karagiannidis C., Schenone A. & Cardinali F., "Knowledge-on-Demand in e-Learning and e-Working Settings", Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 5(1), 2002.
- Papaioannou V., Karadimitriou P., Papageorgiou A., Karagiannidis C. & Sampson D., "From Educational Meta-Data Authoring to Educational Meta-Data Management", 1st IEEE Computer Society International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 01), Madison, WI, USA, August 2001 (Best Paper Award).
- Karagiannidis C., Sampson D. & Cardinali F., "Integrating Adaptive Educational Content into Different Courses and Curricula", Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 4(3), 2001.
- Karagiannidis C. & Sampson D., "Layered Evaluation of Adaptive Applications and Services", 1st International Conference on Adaptive Hypermedia and Adaptive Web-Based Systems (ΑΗ 00), Trento, Italy, September 2000.
- Karagiannidis C., Koumpis A., Stephanidis C. & Georgiou A.C., "Employing Queuing Modelling in Intelligent Multimedia User Interfaces", International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 10(4), 1998.
- Karagiannidis C., Koumpis A. & Stephanidis C., "Adaptation in Intelligent Multimedia Presentation Systems as a Decision Making Process", Computer Standards and Interfaces, 18(6-7), 1997.
- Karagiannidis C., Koumpis A. & Stephanidis C., "Modelling Decisions in Intelligent User Interfaces", International Journal of Intelligent Systems, 12(10), 1997.
- Stephanidis C., Karagiannidis C. & Koumpis A., "Decision Making in Intelligent User Interfaces", 3rd ACM International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI 97), Orlando, FL, USA, January 1997.